Salacgriva port is the farthest northern port of Latvia – it is located in the north–east part of the Gulf of Rīga, 100 km north of Rīga and 13 km south of Latvian–Estonian border. Ancient legends exist on this port, as it was mentioned in historical sources already in 1368 as the port of Livonian archbishop.
More recent history is related to the Salacgrīva yacht port - since the 90ties it has been located on the right bank of the Salaca river. It is well seen when crossing the Salaca bridge in Salacgriva and it adds to the wonderful view of Salaca river mouth.
3 km north of Salacgrīva the harbor of Kuiviži is located. The making of Kuiviži harbor is a special story – in 1860, longing for their own harbor, some 60 local fishermen deepened the mouth of Krišupīte river only using showels, thereby creating the aquatorium of Kuiviži harbor. Almost like the fairy tale which speaks of the times when animals were digging the Daugava river – truth or not, but after that Krišupīte rivermouth was deep enough to harbour the fishermens boats.