River of the lampreys
The river is 95 km long. Linguists have different opinions about the origin of the name ‘’Salaca’’. One opinion is that this is a combination of words sala(island) and acs(eye),others think that the origin is the word ‘’salakt’’(lap)(the river laps the waters of Burtnieks lake), but it is more likely that Salaca name comes from the ancient Liv name ‘’Saletsa’’. Salaca river source is the lake Burtnieks and it flows in the Baltic sea. For tourism Salaca river can be used in all seasons with all types of boats. The flow of the river is not even – there are calm sections where there are practically no streams at all, and there are sections which are full of rapids, quick and rocky. The biggest wild salmon population in the Eastern Baltics region is preserved here, and the river has been granted the status of salmon river, which dictates a special protection regime.
Ferroconcrete bridge in Annasmuiža the first ferroconcrete bridge in the Baltic States was built in 1908, but founded in June 1909. It had a great importance in the development of traffic routes in the Salaca region, because in the centre of Salacgriva there was only a ferry at that time.
Rivers, lakes and the sea are the oldest transportation lines to connect Latvia with closest and furthest countries. When there were no rods on the ground, traveling on wwater was common for merchants and raftsmen. Salacgrīva district always has welcomed those who are friends with water and sailing and gives a chance for sailors to familiarize themselves with the district from water and testing strenght and endurance.
Here you can enjoy horse riding in the forest, across the fields or along the seashore. The kids can also go for a ride! Also we gladly accompany the newly wed on weddings and take part in client’s festivities.
It’s impossible to say how old Salacgrīva really is. The most ancient place is considered the castle mound on the right bank of Salaca river.